Yes, yes, I know I haven't blogged in awhile. We went on a trip this week, and so I didn't have much opportunity, and now I've finally gotten around to jotting a few notes on the things I have done and the places I have seen... So, shall we begin?
We chartered a bus to take us on our trip. Except that in this country, we call it a coach. Thus it was better than just a city bus and the driver better than a city driver. The coach was really nice actually, had huge windows and fairly comfortable seats. On England's narrow roads, it was somewhat fun to put my head against the window and watch the trees zoom past and what seemed like mere inches away. And perhaps at times, they really were that close. Some crazy good driving was going on as we had no problems and our coach was about as big as a double decker bus. All I can say is I'm glad I wasn't the one driving.
We left on Tuesday. The first place we visited was Stonehenge. We had fun taking lots of pictures. A few people in my group were taking modeling shots as it was quite windy. Others decided they wanted jumping pictures. One person decided he wanted a picture of himself seemingly being abducted by aliens on the spot. As for me, I enjoyed their enthusiasm, took a few pictures for them, and tried to get a good picture of Stonehenge with the clouds. It was an interesting structure. You aren't allowed to get anywhere near it though. Unless you're a rabbit. There were a few bounding around nonchalantly amongst the rocks.
The next place we went was even better. It was a place called Avebury. There were more rocks there. But this time, they were rocks we were allowed to touch. We got to go on a tour which was very fun. They told us that Stonehenge isn't really a henge. The ditch and mound are there, but they're in the wrong order. It's a bit hard to explain without the visual... Anyhow, there were huge rocks arranged in circles within circles and a few parallel lines as well. Much bigger than Stonehenge. And I also appreciated being able to actually touch the stones. They'd originally been erected in something like 3000 BC or so (yes, that is five thousand years ago...fascinating, isn't it?). We speculated that the henge feature made a sort of amphitheater so that the side with the stones is a sort of stage where important ceremonies could be carried out for a large audience. We're actually not really sure at all what it's all about. Avebury is not a burial site however. Stonehenge is, Avebury is not. Anyway, it's a bit of a mystery. If anyone was to come to England, I'd probably tell them to look at Stonehenge from the freeway or just outside the fence that you have to pay to get in and then go take a tour of Avebury and really get connected to the history. Stonehenge doesn't offer much in that way. Fascinating stuff...
I really would continue on with documenting the rest of the week, but I should probably be getting to bed. I've got class tomorrow morning and I'd like to be awake for it... To finish up Tuesday, we checked into a hostel in Bristol, got some food, and I explored the city a bit with a small group of friends. I promise I'll blog about at least Wednesday soon. Which will in course be followed by Thursday and all the rest of the days up until the present one. It'll just take me a bit to catch up. After all, I wouldn't want to miss out on new adventures by reminiscing over old ones! Well, off to bed with me. Good night world. I'll blog more in the morning. Or the afternoon if that doesn't work out. How about we just settle for later. So, until this illusive "later", I bid you all adieu!
No comments:
Post a Comment