Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The last few days

I should get around to blogging about trips out of London soon, however, I should also blog about the last few days lest I forget about all the goings on. Thus, I will start with Sunday.

On Sunday I went to church as usual. I didn't teach the lesson in Primary but things were absolutely crazy this week. We didn't bring any treats because it was fast Sunday so we didn't have the usual leverage to get them to behave. I teach the lesson next time. I'm already trying to plot how I'll get those kids to listen yet! It seems strange that we only have one Sunday left.

I also went on a walk on Sunday. Which I will discuss as a walks post when I get there.

Yesterday (Monday) seemed like a pretty full day. I started off with history class and then I went to a couple of art museums. I also managed to squeeze in a walk (which will also appear as a walks post). I had lunch at some random cafe. They had really good sandwiches that were cheap. I think I've decided that my favorite food here is the baguette sandwiches. Especially when they toast them. They are seriously really good.

Last night we also had a fireside. The speaker who came had lived through the Blitz in London in WWII. He was about 5 years old at the time of the Blitz and he just told us some of the things that he remembered and what it was like. He kept referring to the Germans as "Our neighbors who were trying to kill us." He talked about the bomb shelters and what they were like and the 57 consecutive nights of constant bombing. He was like "Yeah, it was kind of an adventure for me, but I'm sure my mum was scared half to death about it." His dad served in the fire brigade because his usual job was making military stuff like tanks so they had him stay and work instead of going off to fight. When things got really bad, their dad stayed away for days just fighting fires and didn't work at all. So in the shelter (when the siren went off warning about planes coming) it was just three boys and their mum camped out in the little bunks they'd put in there. The shelter was a hole that was dug into the ground...about 6 foot square or so he said... and the top was round and made of metal pieces. When it rained a lot, sometimes there'd be 6 inches of standing water in the bottom of that thing (sometimes they'd bring wooden beams from the garden and set them down to stand on so they didn't have to stand in the water). It wasn't very comfortable, but they did it. And everyone did it. He also described the black outs - they weren't allowed to let a light shine at night else they'd be targeted by the bombers. Anyway, it was an interesting fireside. And I'd better go soon. We're going to go have tea in Kensington gardens. And after that play cricket. And after that go to a show. Did I mention that I'm going to be really busy this week? It's our last week here. So not only do we have tons of stuff we need to see and do this week as a group, I also have to write a small pile of papers and prepare for finals. Oh, and catch up on my blog. Well, at least I won't be bored.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a cool fireside!! and you get to have tea time--in kensington gardens, no less! :) so exciting!

    ReplyDelete